Monday, November 2, 2009

A Rose by Any Other Name

Welcome dear reader to my blog. I have just moved to a new home and thought I would use this blog to remain connected to my old pack and perhaps make some new friends too.


My name is Brontë. I was named after the authors Anne, Charlotte and Emily Brontë, who wrote Agnes Grey, Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. I thought that if I were going to write a blog, its name should be something special. So, after going through a long process of elimination, I decided on The Literate Corgi. That was a joke, because I don’t have a long process of elimination. You see, I am only 12 weeks old and I am not even house broken yet.


I did spend some time trying to come up with a great name for my blog. I decided against several of my ideas because they seemed obvious or redundant, like:
  • The Playful Corgi
  • Cute Puppy
  • All the World is a Chew Toy
  • Warm Fuzzies
  • Brontë, Queen of All She Surveys
Several of the really good names I considered were already taken. Examples included:
  • CorgiTales, which is a blog about Dockers, Nikita and Cody. I am a little sensitive about the subject of tails (you see, I’m a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and we are a tailless breed). Then again, I have a tendency to over-think things, unlike my sister Bad who just puts stuff in her mouth and figures things out as she goes.
  • Confessions of a Corgi is a blog about Winnie. Frankly, I’m glad this title was taken because I think that name would have inspired me to post some things that would have come back later to embarrass me during a job interview or something. Winnie is a beautiful tricolor corgi just like my mom.
  • A Million Shades of Gray. My vet says that all dogs see things in black and white, but I see shades of gray in everything. I have a confession to make. When I first saw this title I thought it read "A Million Shades of Gravy", which sounds like paradise to me. I may save that name to use when I start a company.
Still, some may ask why I chose to name my blog The Literate Corgi. That is a really good question, because I don’t read. Before you jump to any conclusions about the negative influence of technology on the youth of America or cite me as an example of the failure of our educational system, I feel compelled to point out two good reasons why I don’t read:
  • I’m only 12 weeks old.
  • I’m a dog; a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.
Besides, who has time to read these days? I don’t even read newspapers. Which is surprising, because I spend time going over several newspapers each day. I guess the only reason I can give for choosing The Literate Corgi is that I was named Brontë, though I like the idea that the title is aspirational.


My AKC registered name is Kallista Where Roses Grow Wild. My namesake, Emily Brontë, wrote a poem about love and friendship that starts with the line “Love is like a wild rose-briar...” So, as Juliet says in Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, “...What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet...”


Do you know what makes this really ironic? My new home is in a town named Montague...


Full Disclosure:
We wanted to write a fanciful blog from the perspective of a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. However, since I can neither read nor write, I assembled a creative team to help me put it together. Each of us is responsible for the part of the blog that falls within our area of expertise. While I make sure all the smells used are correct, I leave everything else to my ghost writers. I’m working on my communication skills, but our mutual vocabulary is still a bit limited. So, please let me know if there are any errors.


2 comments:

Cristina from CorgiTales said...

Dear Sweet Brontë & Ghost Writers:

Really enjoyed your very first blog entry and the voice in which it's written. What a great name, Brontë (Wuthering Heights is an all time fav) and smart title for your blog. I look forward to reading it and watching you grow up.

Thanks for the CorgiTales mention. It is an ironic title but also meant as a pun. Hopefully my corgi-kids won't hold it against me. =)

wvcorgis2 said...

Kallista pup,
Somebody at your house sure is literate. If not you yet, you are getting there. I love the blog!